In reference to the submission for the inclusion of the Atri-Cerrano site on the UNESCO World Heritage List, we can say that the historic centre of Atri is identified as one of three “main areas” (A), together with the Regional Reserve Badlands of Atri (B) and the Tower of Cerrano Marine Protected Area (C) (to this end, you can see the previous post “Submission to UNESCO for the Atri-Cerrano site”).
In fact the historic centre of Atri is a well-preserved minor centre of Abruzzo, decorated with the recognition of city of art. It dates back to Roman ages, as several archaeological remains attest. Many of them are still visible, such as the baths (in the cathedral) and the theatre (d). It stands on a three-tops high ground. The town appearance is typically medieval, except for some churches and baroque mansions. We have to highlight the majestic cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta (13th century), national monument since 1899 (a), the Mansion of Acquaviva Dukes (14th century) (c) and the nineteen century theatre (b).
A further evidence of the ancient town is the archaic underground water system, made up of caves and underground passages (f) and ancient extra moenia fountains (e).